Skip to Content
Use COVID-19 Alert Level 2 contact tracing form when on campus.
These regulations are to be read in conjunction with all other Statutes and Regulations of the University including General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates.
1. Candidates for the degree of Master of Philosophy shall, before enrolment, have:
(a) been admitted or qualified for admission in the College in which it is proposed to enrol to either a Bachelor's Degree or to an Honours Degree; or
(b) been granted admission with equivalent status as entitled to pursue a programme of study for the degree in a College other than that in which they qualified for admission either to a Bachelor's Degree or to an Honours Degree; or
(c) such other qualifications as the Academic Board may accept.
2. Except as provided in Regulations 1, 3 and 4, candidates shall comply with the Course Regulations for a Master's Degree in the College in which they pursue the programme of study.
3. Candidates who have been enrolled on the basis of a Bachelor's Degree for which the required programme of study was of three years' duration shall be required to take the examinations in an approved set of advanced level courses in the proposed field of study equivalent in amount to one year of full-time study.
4. In special circumstances, and subject to Regulation 3, the Academic Board may at its discretion modify for candidates the requirements of the Course Regulations for a Master's Degree in the College in which they pursue their programme of study. Modifications that may be permitted under this Regulation are substitution, wholly or in part, of a thesis for required course work, and substitution of other requirements for a thesis.
5. The degree shall be awarded on the combined result of the courses (where applicable) and a pass in the thesis (where applicable). In Colleges where the College Masterate is awarded with classes of honours, the Master of Philosophy degree may be awarded with distinction for a result of the same standard as that required for first class honours in the College Masterate.
Page authorised by Academic Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 08 October 2019