Skip to Content
Use COVID-19 Alert Level 2 contact tracing form when on campus.
These regulations are to be read in conjunction with all other Statutes and Regulations of the University including General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates.
1. Admission to the Degree of Master of Natural Sciences requires that the candidate will:
(a) meet the University admission requirements as specified; and
(b) shall have been awarded or qualified for the Bachelor of Natural Sciences or an equivalent qualification, having achieved a B+ grade average or higher over 300-level courses.
2. Notwithstanding Regulation 1, a candidate who has passed at least 240 credits towards the Bachelor of Natural Sciences including at least 105 credits at 200 level or above, with an average grade of B+ or better in the 200 and/or 300 level courses may, with the approval of the Programme Director, be permitted to enrol in the Master of Natural Sciences.
3. Candidates for the Degree of Master of Natural Sciences shall follow a programme of study, which shall consist of courses totalling at least 180-credits, comprising:
(a) 60 credits at 700 level and 120 credits at 800 level; And including:
(b) attending field trips, studios, workshops, tutorials, and laboratories as required.
4. The Master of Natural Sciences is awarded without specialisation.
5. In cases of sufficient merit, the Degree of Master of Natural Sciences may be awarded with Distinction or Merit.
6. The timeframes for completion as outlined in the General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates will apply.
7. Candidates may be graduated when they meet the Admission, Qualification and Academic requirements within the prescribed timeframes; candidates who do not meet the requirements for graduation may, subject to the approval of Academic Board, be awarded the Postgraduate Certificate in Science and Technology should they meet the relevant Qualification requirements.
8. Candidates admitted under Regulation 2 must complete the requirements of the Bachelor of Natural Sciences, or equivalent qualification, before they are eligible to graduate with the Master of Natural Sciences.
9. The general Unsatisfactory Academic Progress regulations will apply.
10. All candidates commencing study towards the Degree of Master of Natural Sciences on or after 1 January 2015 must satisfy the requirements specified in these regulations.
11. All candidates who commenced study towards the Degree of Master of Natural Sciences prior to 1 January 2015 and who have passed at least 60 credits towards the qualification, may complete under the regulations in the 2014 Massey University Calendar, or transfer to these regulations.
12. In all cases candidates must complete the qualification within the timeframes for completion as specified in the Completion Requirements.
247.782 Special Topic 15 credits
247.783 Special Topic 15 credits
247.792 Special Topic 15 credits
247.793 Special Topic 15 credits
123.897 Thesis 120 Credit Part 1 60 credits
123.899 Thesis 120 credits
124.897 Thesis 120 Credit Part 1 60 credits
124.899 Thesis 120 credits
162.897 Thesis 120 Credit Part 1 60 credits
162.899 Thesis 120 credits
196.897 Thesis 120 Credit Part 1 60 credits
196.899 Thesis 120 credits
199.897 Thesis 120 Credit Part 1 60 credits
199.899 Thesis 120 credits
203.897 Thesis 120 Credit Part 1 60 credits
203.899 Thesis 120 credits
232.897 Thesis 120 Credit Part 1 60 credits
232.899 Thesis 120 credits
Page authorised by Academic Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 08 October 2019