Skip to Content
Our campuses are currently closed to the public. Visit www.massey.ac.nz/coronavirus for our COVID-19 updates.
These regulations are to be read in conjunction with all other Statutes and Regulations of the University including General Regulations for Undergraduate Degrees, Undergraduate Diplomas, Undergraduate Certificates, Graduate Diplomas, and Graduate Certificates.
1. Admission to the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) requires that the candidate will:
(a) meet the University admission requirements as specified; and shall
(b) have been awarded or qualified for a Bachelor's degree of at least 360 credits, or equivalent; and
(c) hold a qualification(s) approved by the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand as appropriate for entry; and
(d) have completed approved courses at Level 7 or Level 8 in at least one subject area deemed suitable for teaching in New Zealand secondary schools;
(e) have demonstrated competence in literacy and numeracy; and
(f) have achieved an Academic IELTS score of at least 7.0 with no band less than 7.0 or approved equivalent within the preceding two years, unless the candidate holds New Zealand University Entrance Level 2 literacy credits or higher, or Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand recognised equivalent qualification(s) and/or schooling; and
(g) have met the requirements for registration as set down by the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand, in terms of in terms of good character and fitness to be a teacher.
2. Admission to the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) will be granted or withheld on consideration of the admission requirements specified under Regulation 1, a Police Vetting report and a selection process which may include a written application, interview, and written and/or practical exercises as may be determined by the Academic Board or their delegate.
3. Candidates for the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) shall follow a flexible programme of study, which shall consist of courses totalling at least 120 credits, comprising:
(a) the Teaching Studies courses listed in Schedule A of the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) Schedule (45 credits); and
(b) the Teaching Experience courses listed in Schedule B of the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) Schedule (30 credits); and
(c) 45 credits of Curriculum Subjects Studies courses as specified in Schedule C of the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) Schedule; and
(d) attending professional practice and community placements, field trips, studios, workshops, tutorials and laboratories as required.
4. The Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) is awarded without specialisation.
5. Every candidate for the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) shall perform to the satisfaction of the Academic Board or their delegate at least fourteen weeks of supervised clinical practice, in accordance with the requirements of the following courses:
(a) 260.483 Secondary Teaching Experience I;
(b) 260.484 Secondary Teaching Experience II.
6. Should a student in the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) be charged with an offence against the law after entry into the qualification, the student must advise the College Pro Vice-Chancellor or their nominee of the charge within three working days.
7. If the Academic Board or their nominee is of the opinion that any student does not meet in general terms the requirements set down by the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand for registration as a teacher in New Zealand in terms of good character and fitness to be a teacher, the student's enrolment in the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) programme will be refused or cancelled.
8. A candidate's programme of study may not exceed two years of full-time study, or three years of part-time study from date of first enrolment in a course to be credited to Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary).
9. Candidates may be graduated when they meet the Admission, Qualification and Academic requirements within the prescribed timeframes.
10. For candidates enrolled in the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary), the following will lead to exclusion from the qualification:
(a) failure to obtain a pass in a course in two successive attempts; or
(b) failure to pass courses totalling at least 60 academic credits or failure to pass at least 50 percent of an approved part-time programme of study in any academic year; or
(c) failure to complete the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) within two years of full-time study, or three years of part-time study from the date of first enrolment in a course to be credited to the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary).
11. A person excluded under Clause 11 will only be readmitted to the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) with the approval of Academic Board or their nominee. Such approval may be withheld or granted subject to conditions.
260.490 Teaching in Context I 15 credits
260.492 Teaching and Learning in a Secondary Context 15 credits
260.483 Secondary Teaching Experience I 15 credits
260.420 Teaching Mathematics 15 credits
260.422 Teaching Science 15 credits
260.426 Teaching Technology 15 credits
260.429 Teaching Languages 15 credits
260.431 Teaching English 15 credits
260.434 Teaching Social Sciences 15 credits
260.438 Teaching Music 15 credits
260.441 Teaching Health and Physical Education 15 credits
260.444 Teaching Visual Arts 15 credits
260.421 Teaching Senior Mathematics 15 credits
260.423 Teaching Senior Agriculture/Biology/Horticulture 15 credits
260.424 Teaching Senior Chemistry 15 credits
260.425 Teaching Senior Physics 15 credits
260.427 Teaching Senior Technology 15 credits
260.428 Teaching Design and Visual Communication 15 credits
260.430 Teaching Senior Languages 15 credits
260.432 Teaching Senior English 15 credits
260.433 Teaching Drama 15 credits
260.435 Teaching Senior History 15 credits
260.436 Teaching Senior Geography 15 credits
260.437 Teaching Senior Commerce 15 credits
260.439 Teaching Senior Music 15 credits
260.440 Musicianship for School Instrumental Music Teachers 15 credits
260.442 Teaching Senior Physical Education 15 credits
260.443 Teaching Health 15 credits
260.445 Teaching Senior Visual Arts 15 credits
260.446 Teaching Senior Art History 15 credits
260.447 Teaching Performing Arts 15 credits
260.448 Teaching Senior Social Sciences 15 credits
Page authorised by Academic Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 08 October 2019